0
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/SxZGVUbqdOsMCcp7hGeSikxAtMk=/0x0:2040x1360/920x613/filters:focal(857x517:1183x843)/cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/53362095/akrales_170221_1474_A_0127.0.0.jpg

I love the convenience and gestures my laptop touchpad provides, but when I'm really doing work I prefer an external mouse and an external keyboard. Logitech's G900 is a mouse. It's a really expensive mouse ($149 list price), with more features than anyone was really asking for, and I was convinced it was overkill before I realized I hate using anything else.

What is it?
The G900 has the requisite left and right click, two extra buttons on each side, a scroll wheel, and a pair of buttons behind the wheel to switch sensitivity on the fly. It's wireless, there's an optical sensor, and it lights up in pretty colors.

What’s special about it?
Logitech's big selling point for this mouse is its ultra low latency wireless (and wired) performance. According to Logitech's own tests, the mouse outperforms many wired mice on latency (that's the time between you moving the mouse and the motion registering on the computer) thanks to Logitech's fine-tuning of the wireless communication.
What actually attracted me to the mouse was that it's a high-end mouse that's symmetrical. I'm left-handed, and for years I've gripped right-handed mice at odd angles with my left hand for work and then switched to right-handed mousing for video games. The G900 was for me an opportunity to switch to a full left-handed lifestyle. I even remapped the left and right buttons, which is now saved to a profile in the mouse's onboard memory and annoys anyone who attempts to use my computer.

Is it good?
In every way this is a good mouse. It performs excellently when wired or wireless, and tracks perfectly on nearly any surface — I've had zero mousing problems, which sounds like the bare minimum but it's not guaranteed with mice in the sub-$50 range. I'm merely human, so the advertised 1ms response time and the 12,000 max tracking DPI are clearly overkill, but it is nice to know when I'm on an Overwatch losing streak that I can't blame my gear.
But it's all the little things that make me think I can't live without this mouse. For instance, the scroll wheel has two modes: a locked mode where you feel each notch as you scroll (good for switching between discrete values like which gun you're holding), and an unlocked mode where the wheel spins freely (good for scrolling down webpages). That means a mouse that I got for gaming turned out to be perfect for work, which makes my life simpler.
Also, and I don’t know how to explain this in a paragraph, but the clicking is really good. Not too hard, not too soft, and just the right travel distance. How do you make a good clicker? Make it like this.
Like all mouse setup software, I hate using Logitech's. Thankfully, because you can store settings in the mouse's onboard memory, I set it up on one computer and never had to install that garbage again. I can toggle between various DPIs (I use a lower sensitivity for gaming than I do for non-gaming) with the onboard buttons and that's all I need.

Am I happier or more fulfilled?
Probably. My switch to full left-handed mouse usage was enabled and inspired by this mouse, and while it's certainly inconvenient to remap the keyboard for every game I play, it's been mostly a positive change. I aim better, I play better, and I get to use my dominant hand to operate a computer which is nice because I spend most of my waking life on one.
On an embarrassing note, I lost the wireless dongle somewhere in my apartment. The mouse has a nice setup where you can use the mouse plugged in while it charges, and then plug the dongle into that cable when you're ready to go wireless again. I enjoyed that capability. But, like 97 percent of RF dongles I've owned in my life, I lost this one. So now I have an extremely overpriced wired mouse.

Should you get one?
Some of the biggest drawbacks of a wireless mouse are reliability, battery life, and latency. The G900 is great on all those fronts. The other big drawback, though, is weight. Because the mouse has a battery in it, it'll always be a good amount heavier than an equivalent wired mouse. Mouse weight is a matter of taste, so you might have to test out a wireless mouse a bit to see if it bothers you. For reference, the G900 (which has a built-in battery) weighs about as much as Apple's Magic Mouse with the AA batteries inserted.
And then there's price. I feel like over $100 is more than I should spend on a mouse. But I spent it! I started out testing a review unit from Logitech, but ended up buying my own. I guess the fact that this is ambidextrous and works for all my daily mouse use-cases makes it "worth it" for me, but if your taste or needs differ at all from mine you can probably find a cheaper mouse that will serve you just as well.

Post a Comment

 
Top

;